Getting the right information at the right time to make the most relevant patient care decision is a constant challenge for healthcare professionals. Rapid, high medical value tests and faster lab-to-ward transmission of patient results can play a key role in helping you meet that challenge.
Making decisions quickly and accurately
In the Emergency Department (ED), patient triage decisions are essential to:
- support the right patient diagnosis/orientation as early as possible,
- help reduce overcrowding and staff pressure,
- contribute to patient comfort and cost-savings by avoiding more invasive and costly investigations.
“Clinicians need access to rapid, sfaimple tests that can rule in or out infection, diagnose a syndrome (sepsis, pneumonia), or identify a specific pathogen or resistance determinant. When such a test is available, it can dramatically improve patient care and reduce healthcare costs…”
Caliendo AM, et al. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013;57(S3):S139–70
Diagnostic tests support rapid, efficient risk stratification for ED patients.
- Rule-out DVT/PE* in <30 minutes
D-dimer testing, combined with clinical assessment, can help rule out up to 50% of patients presenting to the ED with suspected venous thromboembolism (VTE) .1,2
“Combined with a low pretest clinical probability of disease, a negative D-dimer result can safely exclude venous thromboembolism and limit the number of patients requiring further evaluation with imaging techniques.”
Di Nisio M, et al. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 296–304. Caliendo AM, et al. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2013;57(S3):S139–70
- Rapid diagnosis of severe bacterial infection
Procalcitonin (PCT) is recognized as a useful biomarker to support rapid clinical diagnosis of bacterial infection or sepsis. It has also been demonstrated to assist in the diagnosis of lower respiratory tract infections (LRTI) , sepsis stratification and antibiotic
Getting your lab results faster
If you could get faster delivery of results from lab to ward, what would that mean to you ? It could well mean faster, more confident patient-care decisions. It could also mean earlier initiation of relevant therapy, adjustment of empirical treatment, and more rapid patient isolation.
Did you know that innovative diagnostic solutions are now cutting result times in half ? And IT solutions are now connecting lab systems to help get results back to you up to a day earlier?
- Accurate microbial ID in minutes not hours
Cutting the traditional time-to-result for bacterial ID by hours, MALDI-TOF MS** technology
enables accurate identification of microorganism species within minutes
- Fast-tracking lab results to clinicians
Innovative, web-based laboratory informatics provide timelier, actionable results, by connecting diagnostic systems with centralized lab computers.
“[MALDI-TOF] technology will revolutionize how we approach traditional microbial identification. Combined with rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing we can now provide a diagnosis and treatment options within a time frame that will reduce morbidity and mortality… and have a positive impact on patient management.”
Dr. Christine Ginocchio, Senior Medical Director and Chief, Division of Infectious Disease Diagnostics, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
bioMérieux – supporting relevant clinical decisions
Our wide range of diagnostics tools and solutions offers valuable support for clinical decision-making. With extensive experience in the development of high medical value tests, we provide physicians with results they can rely on to make the most relevant clinical decision for optimized patient outcome.
- Rule out DVT/PE* in 20 minutes in low/moderate-risk outpatients with suspected VTE:
- Aid in the diagnosis of severe bacterial infection, or patients at risk of developing sepsis, in 20 minutes:
- Identification of organism species in minutes not hours using MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry technology
- Rapid result reporting from lab to ward
- Myla® is an innovative software solution connecting bioMérieux’s automated ID/AST/Blood culture systems with the Laboratory Information System for earlier patient result reporting
- Righini M, et al. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5:1869-7.
- Ten Cate-Hoek AJ, et al. J Thromb Haemost. 2005;3:2465-70.
- Uzzan B, et al. Critl Care Med. 2006, 34(7):1996-2003.
- Schuetz P, et al. Clin Infect Dis 2012;55(5):651-62.
* DVT/PE: deep vein thrombosis / pulmonary embolism
** MALDI ToF MS:Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight mass spectrometry
*** VIDAS® B.R.A.H.M.S PCT™ supports the clinical management of sepsis, and procalcitonin cut-off thresholds are an aid to the clinical management of lower respiratory tract infections, but under no circumstances replace clinical judgment and thorough clinical assessment of patients.